What is an ENS domain?
If you have a MetaMask or Ethereum wallet, the chances are you can’t remember that huge string of numbers? So this is where ENS can help.
The Ethereum Name Service (ENS) is a service built on the Ethereum blockchain. This elegantly solves the problem of confusing and lengthy crypto addresses. Using an ENS you have the ability to name your crypto wallet just like you would with a website or email.
With an ENS domain, your wallet address is easy to remember and share.
Now instead of: 0xAb5801a7D398351b8bE11C439e05C5B3259aeC9B
You can be: VB.eth
Why should you buy one?
Here’s 5 great reasons to consider an ENS:
- Easy to remember – No longer do you need to look up your wallet address every time you need to access or share.
- Receive crypto assets – You can use your ENS domain to receive over 100 different blockchain assets.
- Store all your info – You can also store lots of info like your bio, avatar, Twitter profile E-mail plus more. Anyone can then find this information by searching your .eth domain.
- ENS domains are tradable NFTs – When you buy an ENS it will land in your wallet as an NFT. This means you can also buy, sell or trade them on marketplaces.
- Selling out fast – Even in a bear market, ENS domains are continuing to be swept up exponentially in a similar manner to the .com boom.
While you can attempt to buy any taken ENS domain on the secondary market prices are rising steadily, but they are still relatively cheap to register for yourself.
Today, we’ll teach you how to create an ENS for yourself (it takes 5mins) so you can take advantage before the rest of the world buys them up.
How to buy your first ENS domain step-by-step:
What you’ll need:
- An ETH wallet (like MetaMask for example)
- Around $50 of Ethereum
Step 1: Head to ENS Manager
- Go to https://app.ens.domains/
Step 2: Search for your favourite .eth name
- Search for the .eth name you would like to own
- The result will show if you’re chosen search is available (green bar) or taken (grey bar)
Step 3: Choose your time period
- Choose how long you want to own the name, before needing to re-register
- I’d recommend buying 3+ years as It works out cheaper and these are likely to be more valuable years from now (NFA)
Step 4: Registration the ENS
- Click “Request To Register”
- A MetaMask box will pop up to confirm your order (You’ll need to pay a small amount of gas)
- Click “Confirm” to approve the transaction and purchase
Step 5: Wait while your transaction processes
- Watch the progress bar while the process completes
- Follow through the easy 3-step process
Step 6: Finalise
- Click the blue “Register” button
- Accept the blockchain transaction and you’re done, your ENS is now registered!
Step 7: Last step – Set a Resolver
- To connect this ENS name to the wallet you’re using, click “Manage Name”
- Find the “Resolver” section and click “Set”
- Click “Use Public Resolver”, and then “Save” to confirm the transaction and save your changes
Step 9: Add your info
- Click on your domain name and you’ll see “Details”, scroll down to the “Records” section.
- Click the drop-down menu, select “Address” and paste in your ETH address.
- Find the “TEXT RECORD” and add any other websites or socials you want to include
- Click “Save” to confirm your profile
That’s it, welcome to the .eth club!
You’re friends can now easily find you and you’re able to receive crypto to the name you chose.
For more tips and tricks like this SUBSCRIBE to our weekly web3 newsletter.